Sunday, October 14, 2007

Art as a Drive + Show Pitch



It's quite interesting to see what pushes a person to draw. Most people will they do it for fun and others have to make a living of it. But when push comes to shove I find that I withdraw my needs to draw anything.

Most people will say they draw/paint/write to get their feelings out, but I find that when I'm feeling down the last thing I want to do is draw. I've gotten this thing about not really getting to personal on-line (except to close friends). I fear that I give away too much of myself and I usually find that I express my feelings in characters I create. I don't have them scanned but I drew some pictures of Ginger the other day feeling very week and mad. She's a type of person in me that shows my weeker and shy side, and certainly my most feminie side. Demion and Rebecca show my teenage angst and darker sides, while Annie-Mae is my usual appearance and shows my funny normal side or the things I wish I could be.

To pitch a show idea here, I had thought of a show about 4 artists, of all totally different styles, coming together to fight off monsters that were created out of evil feelings. Sure sounds kinda stupid now but it's still in work (hear me out): One character is a grafitti artist, who was raised in gangs and a hard life of crime but after the death of his brother he turned to art. The 2nd artist is a fine artist who paints and does more traditional mediums, the 3rd is a cartoonist who doesn't really use the cartoons as a carrer but is doing alot of bum jobs until she gets published, and the 4th is a young architect who uses mathamatical graphs and measurments as an art form. They use thier skills like weapons but it's not a thing they use on people. The premise is about creatures that are created by artists in their artwork that come to life and try to target and attack the subject that it's about. ex. A gang member tags a store with a symbol that tells other members that that place has to be raided later or belongs to that gang. The symbol will come to life and attack rival gang members or try to rob the store. So our grafitti artist will use his spary paint to block out the artist work and 'save the day'. This just doesn't happen in grafitti art but even fine artists and scuptures will paint or create things that will take over the artist and that artist will become a power of self destruction. In a way it's almost like our 4 artist heros are ghost hunters, only they can see the art come to life and can use thier skills to fight them off. The Grafitti artist uses speed as an advantage, the Fine Artist uses strong artistic background to create strong attacks, the Cartoonist uses her silly stuff to confuse or cause status afflictions and the Architech will build up a strong defence with good math skills. (This sounds corny even to me).
This wouldn't be a cutesy cartoon, I was thinking it be in a serious anime style, almost like Bleach, and would have the characters deal with death and serious problems (like our grafitti artist seeing ghosts of his lost gang members). One thing I think would make it different from other animes is that there wouldn't be alot of talking amoungst the heros, they would use their art to express thier feelings and thoughts to one another. Ex. Our Architect gets a prank pulled on him and gets his hair dyed a different color and the Cartoonst would keep painting her hair different colors to try to make him feel better. The only time you might hear long conversaitions would be when the media is talking about current events or from artists who didn't have the powers of the heros. It would mainly be an art driven cartoon but I was thinking of using other forms of art like even a musican, a sculpter, an actor, and a writer but that's over stepping it at the moment. I havn't given the show much thought or development because it'd take alot of time and money and is too much of a streatch to gain a good intrest. A show pitch is better then no pitch.

"What makes you draw? What makes you go on drawing even when so much stress has given you reason to stop?" There are alot of famous succesful cartoonists/artists out there who've been given enough BS about thier art that would make them want to stop. It's a bizzar artist drive, something in our bones maybe? We have blocks but something will strike us as funny or genius and then you enjoy drawing again. Never give up on your born need to draw, even if you're not good at it, or people are giving you shit about it. Anybody can be succesful you need the right market, I guess then the real issue is do you want to make a carrer of it.

Some of you might be happy that I'm trying not to post fanart to my blog here. If you're an active veiwer of my DA account you'll see that I do alot of fanart. Only one of these characters are mine, which is the girl character. I think my next big bio page will be about Annie-Mae because she is me. Once I get my electrical problems fixed I'll scan a bunch of pictures of her just for you. For those of you who want to know that guy character belong to 8horns, and is © to himself.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Honestly, the artist show kinda sounds like it'd be a real battle. Maybe it's just the little things like them communicating with their art and stuff. Not a bad idea.

As for art as a drive, that's why I studied computer science the first year in college. I love art but after 6 years of studying it, there have been times that I fucking hated it. I think it's coming back to me though. I'm glad you feel more compelled than I do. If you wanna get something on tv I got a feeling you're gonna need it.